Basic Tango Steps
When learning tango, you must first master some basic movements. Don't worry, basic steps are not that difficult to learn. Beginners usually start with Tango 8-Count Basic or simply Tango Basic.
Tango Basic is made of five steps taken to the 8 counts of music. The rhythm is slow, slow, quick, quick, slow. The slow steps consume two beats of music and the quick steps one. Music is written in 2/4 or 4/4 timing. Tempo is about 120 bpm.
Instructions & Diagrams:Tango is danced in a closed position, usually closer than in other dances. The man's left hand is holding the lady's right hand. His right hand is placed on her back, along the bottom of her ribcage. The lady's left hand is placed on his right shoulder. You always bent your knees. Remember, this dance is the most bent of all the ballroom dances.
The lead and follow mirror each others steps. The lead begins with the left foot, the follow with the right. Walks usually curve gradually to the left.
Basic Steps for Men
- Step forward with your left foot
- Step forward with your right foot passing the left foot
- Step forward again with your left foot this time passing the right foot
- Step forward and to the right with your right foot
- Left foot close to right foot
Basic Steps for Women
- Step back with your right foot
- Step back with your left foot passing the right foot
- Step back again with your right foot this time passing the left foot
- Step back and to the left with your left foot
- Right foot close to left foot